Re: cannot access some https sites with any browser

On Jul 01, 2002 at 10:19 +0100, Ben Thompson wrote:

> > > Does anybody on this list know if there is any way that my kernel could
> > > be having a problem with routing secure connections to my web browsers?
> > >
> > > I am no expert, but it seems to me that the problem is not with mozilla.
> >
> > I have not read the previous mail but it seems easy to check if the
> > problem is with mozilla or somewhere else :
> >
> >    install an alternate ssl-aware browser.
> >
> > I would suggest lynx.
> >
> OK I've tried Lynx and it dosen't work with my bank
>
> https://welcome5.smile.co.uk/servlet/SmileBanking
>
> It gives the same results as mozilla and netscape (it just times out and
> cannot make the connection).
> Please could someone advise anything that I could do to troubleshoot this
> problem. Thanks, Ben Thompson.

Another random shot in the dark -- dunno if it applies to you, but the
symptoms sound similar.  I was having trouble logging in to my
brokerage account, and luckily called their tech support -- the tech
diagnosed the problem immediately (I guess it's common enough).  I
have a Linksys broadband firewall/router connecting my LAN to the 'net
using PPPoE DSL, which apparently sometimes negotiates a too-large
packet size with some web servers, and fails to be able to transfer
large packets.  A pretty good explanation, with recommended solutions,
is here:

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks/MTU

In my case, I needed to change the max MTU value in the router
settings to 1492, and suddenly the website I was having trouble with
started working.

--
Thatcher Ulrich
http://tulrich.com