Re: Solved: How to get the ALSA driver to start at boot?

Stephan Hachinger wrote on Monday, June 17:

Thanks, it worked. I now even have sound under X, even though artsd
doesn't start with the option for alsa-compatability. I've yet to
figure out why :)

The artsd from libarts-alsa doesn't like alsa 0.5 when the alsa option is
activated, I think. If you have alsa 0.5 you'll have to install 0.9.x or so.
Or just keep the OSS setting or "autodetect" ;). And you might have to run
/usr/share/doc/alsa-base/examples/snddevices once if you haven't done so yet
(creates the alsa devices in /dev).

I forgot to answer this, but I was being stupid: the ALSA library for artsd
wasn't installed anymore (probably lost it in fiddling with the setup).

Selecting 'autodetect' doesn't work BTW; sound in KDE only works if I select ALSA itself as 'sound I/O method'.
sincerely,
--
Ivo Wever
I.J.W.Wever@student.tnw.tudelft.nl