Beginnig with Samba

Hi,

I am as far as I can get in setting up Samba, but it is not far enough. I have read the docs and made of them what I can, I am almost there but not quite, so I come seeking help.

I have my wife and daughters using 3 machines running WinXP in a workgroup. I want to supply to them from a box running Debian Woody, their home directories (rw) and a /pub directory  (ro)

I have the samba server appearing on all the windows machines, but when selected it asks for a password. I have run smbpasswd on the server in the name of all the windows clients and set them all to "no password". I have activated the guest account on all the windows machines, but cannot get past the password screen.

Most of yesterday was spent not even able to get past the "access to this resource is denied" screen, so to be asked for a password was a good stopping point, and time for bed yesterday!

I could append the smb.conf file I have at the moment, but I am expecting people to read this post as it is and say "Idiot, he's forgotten x/y/z, just like they all do!" and point me in the right direction. If someone could oblige....

Keith