Re: Installing from ISO

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 08:42:40PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> If you use IDEPCI floppies with normal DESKTOP PC and NIC, you need only
> 2 floppies for Debian.  Why download packages in iso which you may not
> use?  Debian is very lean.  It ain't RH.

In my reply to the original poster, I suggested the download of
basedep.tar. I thought that this was always needed initially. That
is not true. Depending on your setup (especially the way you connect
to the internet) you can download even the base-system, once booted
from a floppy.

However if you run in to trouble, it's nice to have at least the
base system ready. It is easier to troubleshoot with a normal,
albeit small system, than with the system that comes on the ramdisk.

I am experiencing this right now with the installation of a
Sparcstation. Can't get NFS to work. I know it's propably on the
server side, but checking the client side of things is a bitch
without the normal/regular tools.

Bob