Re: Kills Linux hdd's?

On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 23:35, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 09:38:22PM -0500, Dale Hair wrote:
>
> > I once had a power problem, called the power co. to tell them the
> > transformer on the pole had a red light glowing, they told me that meant
> > the transformer had a problem and they would send someone to look at it.
> > Two years later I moved and the transformer still had that red light.
>
> Actually, I think that's a "power" light.  I always see them glowing
> when power is available, and never when it's not.  You got schwinged.[1]
>
> > For those two years I had two cheap UPS that would beep at the same time
> > several times a day.  So I say a power conditioner ahead of the UPS or
> > built-in is the best.
>
> Wow, remarkably craptastic power there...
>
> [1] [Telephone tech support]  The sound a call makes after you've blown
> off a customer you don't want to deal with or mislead an idiot for the
> sake of the rest of humanity.  Compare plonk, see also permahold.

The power lines feeding the all the houses on the street are fed from
the same line, powered from multiple transformers in parallel , one for
every four houses.  Only one transformer had a red light and I was
setting outside when I saw it come on.  I am a master electrician and a
consultant to many companies.