Re: fips

On Friday 31 May 2002 03:49 pm, Dano wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Thinkpad R30 with Windows 98.
> When I run fips for install GNU/Debian have the next error:
>
> -------------------------------
>
> Checking boot sector ...
> Error: Number of sector (long) does not match partion info:
> 17917130 instead of 17917137
>
> The number of sector in the partition table must match the number of
> sectors in the boot sector

i've seen this, but it was a while back. at the time i was trying to set up a
dual-boot doze/freebsd system on a thinkpad, though not an r30. i ended up
backing up the doze data, booting bsd and creating only a bootable dos
partition; then re-installing doze, restricting it to that partition,
followed by the install of bsd. it might seem like a big hassle but, unless
the disk is ripe to fail in any case, the result is trouble-free. kent
suggested using norton's whatever--don't. norton products are pretty crappy
to begin with and windoze doesn't know crap about the kind of task you have
in mind, anyway.

ben