Re: Possible anti-spam reject host

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 08:54:25PM -0500, Gary Turner wrote:

> these BLs.  I was going to say that any ISP the size of swbell.net would
> have a lot of innocents, but a search of the last 4200 posts just finds
> me 8-P

So bitch at SW Bell to respond faster to spam complaints.  Not
responding fast enough or not responding at all will get your ISP
blacklisted right quick by a number of RBLs.  What gets me is RBL
bounces provide information on what happened, give you a URL for more
information *and* an email address to bitch at.  You want to get out of
the bit bucket?  Wake your ISP's abuse department up.  Doesn't work?
Switch ISPs, they're not serving your needs.

> Don't get me wrong.  Anything that will hurt the spammers is a GoodThing
> (tm).  Black lists and such are shotgun approaches and require human
> intervention to operate nicely.  (I wonder how many actual spams are
> caught, and from which mail servers?)  One list member snidely suggested

Lemme know if you want my rejectlogs in private email, I'll send them to
you and you can judge for yourself.

> This subject has knotted my shorts from time to time for quite a while
> and this thread brought out the soap box.  This may be less off topic
> than "The Big Book of Brewing," but I appreciate your indulgence.

Mail abuse in general has been knotting my shorts for a few years now, I
think I've found the perfect blend of RBLs that cuts most of the crap.

--
Baloo