Re: Kills Linux hdd's?

Hi Jaye
Jaye came to use his tongue on Fri, May 31, 2002 at 06:08:43PM -0700
> Cruel fate:  this *is* going to be a good story, I'll read on :)

Influence of my rpg activities, I guess *s*

> > It twanged like the read/write header of the hdd would somehow hang.
>
> Time to backup what you can and toss it in the trash.

I always wished to make a backup system, but somehow I'm lack of
harddrives :/

> My fear is loss of school work.

My problem is, that I often work on short stories or writing stuff for
rpg

> I repeat; check your grid power supply, too much makes bad things happen, but
> too little also has bad effects on current hardware.  UPS is a very good
> investment, and

Is on my wish list

> I am having excellent luck with my IBM 60GB drives.

I had a IBM 20 GByte. Suddenly some smd elements just felt off. It was
obviously a manufacturing damage but all IBM said was: No warranty for
OEM products, thanks for your interest. But I guess, I'll have another
try on IBM

> I don't think your drive failures have anything to do with Linux at all.

Now I can sleep, thanks :)

> You don't mention what type of file system you use, but I would
> expect you used the defacto EXT2.

Nope, I run reiserfs.

> I do wish you success at recovery.

Thanks.