Re: How do I discover the X version I'm running? [further question]

OK, so I'm really using kernel 2.2.19, but...
I have been under the impression that the method of packet filtering/forwarding
changed from something called 'ipchains' in 2.2 to something called 'iptables'
in 2.4. I see that 'iptables' stuff has been added in various places to my
file system, and 'ipchains' stuff seems to have been clobbered. I would like
not to become too involved in network admin, but to fix my system I need to
rebuild some stuff. How can I determine if I should follow recipes for
'ipchains' or 'iptables' ? ( Or am I truly misinformed? )

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 02:25:59PM -0700, ben wrote:
> On Friday 31 May 2002 01:54 pm, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > I ran "X -version" on my Debian system on which I have applied the
> > "go-woody" script to move from potato to woody. I got a result that puzzles
> > me.
> >
> > The "X -version" output contains a line
> > "Operating System: Linux 2.4.13 i686 [ELF]".
> > But when I run "uname -r", I get "2.2.19", and /proc/version contains
> > "Linux version 2.2.19 (herbert@gondolin) (gcc version 2.7.2.3) #1 Sat Jun 9
> > 13:04:06 EST 2001"
> >

> 2.4.13 refers to the system that your version of x was built on. uname -r
> gives you the kernel version you're running.
>
> ben
>

> --

Paul E Condon
pecondon@quiknet.com