XFree 4.2 issues with locale

So... Being one of those who has an unsupported video card in wody I
somewhat boldly installed the unofficial debs from:

deb http://chunk.mp3revolution.net/~aaronl/x ./

Everything works great... Except the following:

1.can't run several Gnome apps.(see extended text)

2. No text in the title bars or the tasklist (tasklist reads ???)

3.when I try to do several things apps crash (edit galeon settings,
change icon on taskbar etc.)

It seems to have something to do with locales but I cant really tell
what. Any Ideas? Thnks :)

jeff@queenbee:~$ gnome-terminal

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers