location of Maildir - /var/mail or ~/Maildir?

I know this might be a religious matter, but is there a good reason for
maildirs to go in ~/Maildir? This seems to be the only way courier will
handle things, but I would like to be able to mount /var/mail from my
mail server on my other systems so I can read mail without imap being
involved (grep'ing, etc).

I see that with authuserdb, I can specify /var/mail for the Maildir, but
I would prefer to not have to keep a separate password database just for
imap. (I am currently using pam to authenticate against my ldap
directory).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what "the one right way" to do
things is? should all mail be accessed via imap, should the mail server
mount the users' home directories, or some other, better option that I
am too dense to think of :) ?

Thanks for any input,

-Mark