Re: Debian take on UnitedLinux?

On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 11:52, ben wrote:
> On Friday 31 May 2002 09:01 am, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 09:02:27AM -0600, Rick Macdonald wrote:
> > > Has there been any Debian disscussion about this, official or otherwise?
> >
> > Why should there be?  We are already the One True Linux Distribution.
> > 8:o)
>
> yup. mono-linuxism. debian is the standard. unitedlinux is a business
> venture, that's all. it's like comparing shaolin monks to tele-evangelists.
>
> if mcdonalds, burger king, jack in the box, and carl's junior were to get
> together to standardize the burger, would that affect the recipe of the one
> you make yourself with the best ingredients at a backyard barbecue? no matter
> how good theirs would be, it's just not the real thing.

Unfortunately, if I wanted a "hamburger" in Minnesota in February,
you wouldn't fire up your grill.

Fortunately, with tasksel, debian isn't _that_ much of a roll-
your-own distro, like Rock & Gentoo are.

I'd give woody to a power user to install on his own machine
_sooner_ than I'd give him an RPM-based distro because of the
RPM Hell that he _will_ descend into when he tries to upgrade
something complex.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net     |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."        |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002,                   |
!   CNN, Larry King Live                                  |