Unresolved symbols in binfmt_aout.o

I just loaded the minimal debian image for the second time and continue to see the error...

depmod: ** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.19/fs/binfmt_aout.o

if I add -e to depmod it tells me that "do_truncate" is the offending party.

I've searched the achive and have found that other people have seen this but it hasn't been obvious how they got around it. I've tried to remove the module but can't seem to find the proper way of achieving that.

This also seems to keep me from loading new modules, such as my ltmodem package for internet access, so I'm having to boot back and forth into windows to get to the internet. Very painful!! Please help!

Thanks.