the dreaded Word attachment

Hello. Like others here, I suspect, I've developed over the years a
little toolbox of stratagems for dealing with the Word documents that
people insist on sending me.

It seems to me, though, that it's proving steadily more difficult to
deal with this problem. Abiword (in my experience) used to deal well
with most kinds of Word documents; but in the past year or so (I
assume because people are using some new version or other of Word), it
fails on more and more of the ones I am sent:

/usr/bin/abiword: line 73: 2207 Aborted $ABISUITE_LIBEXEC/$ABIWORD_BINARY "$@"

In addition, the PDF and RTF outputs from Word used (it seems to me)
to be fairly easy to deal with. But more and more in recent times, the
PDF files that I have been sent yield errors of this sort:

Error (0): PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref
table...  Error (3428): Bad FCHECK in flate stream

and/or they display and print as sequences of blank pages.

In addition, Ted and Abiword both seem to choke more often than they
used to on the RTF files that I am sent.

Is this a solitary delusion of mine, or have others experienced
something like this?  Has anyone found a better way of dealing with
this plague?

Thanks,

Jim McCloskey