weird KDE sound startup problem

Hi, all.

Trying to finish up the first of a new batch of workstations for some of
my users.  Current issue is sound in KDE, wondering if anybody has seen
anything like this.

When a user logs in under KDE, they get a message saying that the sound
server has exceeded maximum CPU usage and will be shut down.  System
load does indeed go sky-high, to something like 6.0 in at least one
instance.

Other sound processes work fine; gdm appears to work well, as do things
like "play" and RealPlayer.

The sound card is an Intel built into the motherboard (system is a Dell
OptiPlex GX440).  From dmesg:

i810: Intel ICH2 found at IO 0xcc40 and 0xc800, IRQ 17
i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x4144:0x5360 (Analog Devices AD1885)
i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 Unable to map surround DAC's (or DAC's not
present), total channels = 2
i810_audio: setting clocking to 41201

Can anyone offer clues?  I'm stumped, I mostly use GNOME and haven't had
to debug artsd before this.

Thanks,
-mrj

--
# Michael Jinks, IB # JFI/MRSEC/EFI Computing # University of Chicago #
      Reader!  Think not that