Re: Loadlin alternatives

I.J.W.Wever@Student.TNW.TUDelft.NL wrote:

> > Well, it looks like Loadlin and Woody will not be
> > compatible for some time [I hate to say not ever...  but
> > I  wonder...]
> >
> > If that is the case, it is a shame, because I suspect
> > there are a lot of users like me who want to keep Windows
> > as their main bootup option just in case they have
> > problems with Linux and don't understand enough to
> > boot up.
> >
> I don't understand what you are talking about. I run Woody
> and boot from Win98, using loadlin.

The problem comes when I rebuild.  Rebuilding creates a BZfile
that loadlin cannot understand.  Yes, the original kernel works under
woody and loadlin.  But if I try rebuilding to get vmlinuz-2.18.xx or
whatever,
that kernel doesn't work.  Or if I use "make BzImage" (caps indicate
statement only), a BzImage is made, but Loadlin can't understand it.
This problem is documented in the bug reports.  See
bugs.debian.org/loadlin to see the description.  But essentially, it
says that the compressed BZ file is bad, system halted.

Anyhow, I'm still interested in seeing what alternatives I have.

  - Mike