Re: Can't get ALSA to configure. PLEASE HELP!

On Wed, 29 May 2002 10:19:39 -0700
"Steve Juranich" <sjuranic@ssli-mail.ee.washington.edu> wrote:

> I've had this computer for a couple of months now and I still can't get
> my stupid sound hardware to work.
>
> I have an on-board ac97 via-8233 based sound controller (from lspci):
(snip)
> 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 AC97
(snip)
> Starting ALSA sound driver (version 0.9.0rc1): (card-via686a)
> Setting the PCM volume to 100% and the Master output volume to 50%
> amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory
> Could not initialize the mixer, the card was probably
> not detected correctly.

Well, call me crazy but the error appears to be correct.  Looking at this
site:

http://alsa-project.org/~goemon/

the chipset you have should be using the via8233 driver not the via686a
driver.  So, chances are you are looking for a config file something like
the following:

| alias char-major-116 snd
| options snd snd_cards_limit=1
| alias snd-card-0 snd-via8233
|
| alias char-major-14 soundcore
| alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
| alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
| alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
| alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
| alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
| alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
|
| post-install sound-slot-0 alsactl restore
| pre-remove sound-slot-0 alsactl store
|
| post-install snd-pcm modprobe snd-pcm-oss
| post-install snd-seq modprobe snd-seq-oss

I would put the above in /etc/modutils/alsa and run "udpate-modules".
Then try starting alsa and see how things work.

--
Jamin W. Collins