Re: How to rebuild Woody kernel (Newbie)

    "DSC" == DSC Siltec <dscpubl@siltec.lt> writes:

    DSC> I've installed Woody, but have discovered that I don't have
    DSC> (a) ALSA for my sound (alternately ymfpci.o) or (b) support
    DSC> for my USB (which I assume will be necessary if I want to
    DSC> upload my digital camera pictures to my Linux box.)

ymfpci and USB support are built into the 2.4.18 kernel's available
with Woody. You should not need to build your own unless you know for
a fact that the pre-built kernel is no good for you.

    DSC> Ideally, it would be nice to get a list of the modules that I
    DSC> already have and their installation values -- I am sure that
    DSC> they would be listed somewhere in ETC, if I knew where to
    DSC> look.

ls /boot/config* contains the options used to build the kernels you
install.

and, of course, /lib/modules/kernel-<version>/....

It *is* all kind of Greek like you said, but it's pretty easy once you
get over the initial shock (much like learning Greek, I guess ;-)

Cheers!
Shyamal