Evolution: Cannot append message to mbox file: Success

G'day,

I've been happily using Evolution (1.0.3-1) on woody now for a month,
and it has just started not receiving mail from my /var/mail/me mbox
file.

When I press the Send/Receive button, an error message appears:

Error while 'Fetching Mail':
Cannot append message to mbox file: /home/me/evolution/local/Inbox/mbox:
Success

Is this a problem I caused?  Has anyone else seen it?  I've found only
one, old, reference on google.  No bugs match this on
http://bugs.debian.org/evolution

The only thing I recall changing before it stopped was adding a new
filter for debian-users to push mail to another folder.  I've since
restored the filters.xml file from backup (10th May) and even deleted it
altogether.

After the failed receive of mail, the ~/evolution/local/Inbox/ directory
looks like this;

~/evolution/local/Inbox$ ls -l
total 4508
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          103 Dec  4 11:08
folder-metadata.xml
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           95 May 23 11:00
local-metadata.xml
-rw-------    1 root     root       343353 May 23 10:48 mbox
-rw-------    1 root     root        68286 May 23 10:48 mbox.ev-summary
-rw-------    1 root     root      1653504 May 23 10:48 mbox.ibex
-rw-------    1 root     root      2521711 May 23 10:48
movemail.mbox__var_mail_root

The last file is clearly in mbox format, and is the mail imported from
/var/mail/me but not yet inserted into mbox.  There's nothing amazingly
abnormal about the message at the top of that file.

Any further clues to help diagnose?

--
James Cameron                                     (james.cameron@hp.com)

http://quozl.linux.org.au/         (or)         http://quozl.netrek.org/