Re: potato -> sid

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 11:18:15PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > I uninstalled pretty much everything from potato - and left just a
> > skeleton system for the upgrade.  Apt-get -f dist-upgrade and then
> > waited.  After downloading apt freaked out (I can't remember at which
> > point), so I used dselect to see if that could sort it out.  It wanted
> > to download another 40MB, for a complete upgrade I guess.  Fine, so I
> > waited some more.  Now it's done it is having difficulty with
> > configuring debconf:
> >
> > Setting up debconf (1.1.14) ...
> > no type given for question at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line
> > 15.
> > dpkg: error processing debconf (--configure):
> >  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  debconf
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> >
> > And obviously loads of important stuff ain't getting done.
> > How do I get out of this one?
>
> OK,  Not bad.  You need to install many basic packages before getting
> debconf running.
>
> # cd /var/cache/apt/archives
> # dpkg -i libc<TAB><RET>
> # dpkg -i perl*<RET>
> # dpkg -i apt*<RET>
> # dpkg -i debconf*<RET>
> # apt-get -f upgrade

Hello, I did this and libc* perl* apt* are all installed and configured,
but it still won't configure debconf...

Setting up debconf (1.1.4) ...
no type given for question at /usr/share/perl15/Debconf/Question.pm line
15.
dpkg: error processing debconf (--install):
 subprocess post-installlation script returned error exit status 255

What now?

Thanks

Harvey