Re: Newbie Hostname Configuration

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 03:12:30AM -0700, ben wrote:

Maybe I misunderstand your advice, but...

> On Wednesday 22 May 2002 02:45 am, Paul Walton wrote:
> > I am about to install 2.2r5 on a standalone dialup machine and would like
> > to get this basic step right, should I use an imaginary name and FQDN such
> > as <newbie.madeupdomain.org> or should I use my ISPs information
> > <bloodshot.ntlworld.com> or something different?
> > I have RTFM but can't seem to find a simple, straightforward guide to this
> > setup.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Paul Walton
> > Fidonet: 2:25/108.15
>
> go with the imaginary name. you don't need to confuse your sh*t with anyone

...this looks like *very* bad advice indeed!  You'll have to be very
carefull not to mask the real one, as often what you consider an
imaginary name is a name in use in the real world.

> else's sh*t. store it in /etc/hostname. that way, if you end up using
> anything that propagates the name out on to the web (e.g., exim, sendmail),
> confusion is minimized.

And there is no need to dump your sh*t to someone else, just think of
all bounced messages arriving at the door of the *real* owner of your
fake domain!

A far better approach is to get a proper name from e.g. dyndns and use
that as your domain name.  Or you could stick `.invalid' at the end, the
official way to mark an address as non routable on the net.  (Oh how
I wished they reserved something like `.localnet' for this purpose)