Re: use 'woody' or 'testing' in sources.list?

On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 10:49, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> Should I be using 'woody' or 'testing' in my apt sources.list? I'm
> concerned that if woody becomes stable, I'll suddenly adopt sid.

When woody is released, it will become "stable".  At that point there
will be a new "testing" (as yet unnamed), which will initially be
identical to woody but will quickly start to receive packages from
unstable.  "sid" will remain "unstable" and always will.

If you want to run "testing" but not "unstable", you should specify
"testing" in your apt sources.list.  If you currently specify "woody"
you will switch from testing to stable when woody is released, and you
will fall off the edge of the world when it is replaced by the next
release.

> Is woody likely to become 'stable' soon?

It's waiting for some infrastructure to let the security team do fixes
to all released architectures at once.

     "We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we
      are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not
      forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; Always bearing
      about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that
      the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our
      body."        II Corinthians 4:8-10