Re: Install the debian under the VMWARE

On 22 May 2002, Squirrel wrote:

> > Quick workaround:
> >
> > Reboot. Boot from the installation CDrom and on the command prompt type:
> >
> > boot: Linux root=/dev/sda1
> hah
>  I did as you directed .It was going until it prompted "unable to open
> an initial console.Kernel panic :No init found .Try passing init=option
> to kernel!"
> many thanks first.
> But how can I pass the option to the init? I can't access my disk now.

Sounds like you are running from one problem to another. Maybe the new
Debian install kernel needs an initrd image, I don't know. To speed things
up:

In my eyes it would be much more efficient to try a new install with an
virtual IDE disk. It doesn't mean that you have to give your first try
away: Just create a new IDE disk in the Configuration Editor. Note that
the size limit from previous versions of VMware (2GB) doesn't exist
anymore. Don't forget to deselect the old SCSI disk.

I am always running into trouble when trying to install Linux onto a
virtual SCSI disk since the Buslogic Controler VMware is using is kind of
exotic.

Good luck.