Re: Serious "Bug" in most major Linux distros.

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 01:32:48PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> >     Why the sam hell is there not, by default, no questions asked, it's
> >     installed because it's *right*, a statically linked /sbin/sh as
> >     roots default shell?
> >

> because the days of static bins are long passed.

    For most things, I'd agree. For certain critical binaries, that is
    pure unadalterated hubris.

    The was to hose a system are manifold, as are the paths to recovery
    of that system, and to not do the simplest thing--like providing a
    sane and statically linked /sbin/sh for root is silly.

> if *you* want this, Debian
> makes it even easier.  apt-get install sash.  not only is is statically linked
> it also includes enough stuff to help you save a system.

    I want it the *default*. It will be in the next interation of my
    production installation.

> Debian is very strongly against making any decision for you we do not have to
> make.  And almost all of our decisions can be overruled.

    You make *lots* of decisions for the end user. Most of them are
    *very* sane.

    This one is not.

--
My last cigarette was roughly 29 days, 14 hours, 21 minutes ago.
YHBW