ext3 problems

HELP!

My Red Hat server crashed when I attempted to upgrade it to 7.3.
Unfortunately this is the box I use to host a couple hundred web sites.

I'm going to install a second hard drive and put Woody on it.  I'd like to
then be able to access the existing files on the original hard drive from
Woody.  But they're formatted ext3.  Is there a way I can format them back
to ext2 without losing all the data, or does debian have a precompiled
2.4.x kernel that's ready for ext3 that I can just do an apt-get upgrade
with?

Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

Glen