Re: Root SSH permitted by default (was: how does root run a graphical prog)

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 08:26:11PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> Like the document says, regularly su'ing to root from an account makes
> compromising that account essentially equivalent to compromising root
> anyway.

How so?  Regularly sudo'ing, sure, since that uses the user's password
as a (hopefully limited) root password.  Or if the user's password
and the root password are the same (which is a problem unto itself).
However, I have two separate (and relatively strong) passwords for my
user account and for root.  In this situation, how would frequent use of
su from my account "make compromising that account essentially equivalent
to compromising root"?

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss