Re: how does root run a graphical prog

On Tue, 21 May 2002 12:37:34 -0400
"Travis Crump" <pretzalz@techhouse.org> wrote:

> I just did a plain 'su' followed by a 'echo $HOME' and got /root.  Then
> I tried to open a graphical program as root which I always thought just
> worked and got an:
(snip)
> But the program still started and ran fine. Though if I do a 'su -' I
> can't open a graphical program as others have said...

Try opening a terminal as a normal user and running the following:

echo $HOME
echo $XAUTHORITY

now 'su' to root and run the same commands again.  And, finally 'su -' to
root and run the commands one more time.  I think you find the answer to
your questions. (hint: take a close look at $XAUTHORITY)

--
Jamin W. Collins