Problem with sending usenet items with emacs gnus

I purchased a Debian Woody (Unofficial) distro from Edmunds Enterprises
and installed it.  It seems OK except I'm having a lot of trouble with
default configurations for communicating with the outside world.  I've
already posted some questions (can't telnet in, the Mail transfer agent
which I think is sendmail, at least sendmail is running, doesn't seem
to want to play nice with fetchmail, and now this.  I'm afraid I
don't know much about these kinds of configuration issues.  I still
have the telnet and mail problems and will have to drop debian if I
can't resolve them.  I've been using linux since 1994, mostly using
slackware and somehow managed to get along knowing these configuration
items until now.

Anyway, here's my latest-

When I try to post a message using emacs gnus, it produces a 'From'
line that gnus doesn't like.  Does anyone know how I can change that?
The exact complaint, in the little bar at the bottom of gnus is:

Denied posting -- the From looks strange: "Debian User <cpw@ragwind>".

Here is an exact example of a message I tried to post: