Installation / Compiling / 3C905C-TX-M

Hi folks.

After getting a new PC the other day I am now trying and setting up my
old one as an internet gateway (although I have to admit I don't have
the slightest idea as what that might be; never had anything to do with
networks. So further inquiries are bound to follow).

Well I installed linux on my box:

- i586 P I, 233 mhz, 64 MB RAM
- 1 Realtec 8029 10mbit Card, accepted by NE2000 pci driver,
- 1 3com 3C905C-TX-M 10/100 mbit card, no driver available on potato
CD's
- 1 ATI All in Wonder (Mach64) PCI card, 8 MB
- 2 HDs, 2 CD-ROMs, serial mouse (ttyS0), standard keyboard
- SB-16 compatible sound card
- no shared IRQs

3com directed me to their homepage where I was able to download some
drivers, precompiled for up to kernel 2.2.15, some for kernel 2.4 up,
none specified for Debian. So I tried to compile 'em myself.
Unfortunately, those source files expect (among others) a file
"linux/modversions.h". But there is no such a file in the kernel
sources.

How can I find the .deb containing that file? (More precisely and
general: How can I find out how to find out where a file might be? It's
nice there are over 4000 packages on the CDs but - of course - no way to
find a program if one doesn't know its most precise name and location
before ever using it |-(. ).

So what can I do?
Where might I find a driver for that card, working or compilable under
debian?
Searching the website for 3C905C didn't yield anything.

Or do I have to switch to SuSe (yucc), Red Hat (urrgh), Mandrake or even
worse?

Any help will most gratefully be accepted.

Axel Schlicht