Re: Which encoder for grip?

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 10:32:54PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Hi,

Hi, Bill,...

> mp3 files.  Should I move to Ogg Vorbis?  What Debian packages are needed

As already stated, if you don't need to encode files to carry them
around with you in a mobile player, you really should check out ogg
vorbis, since for what I have seen here the files indeed are smaller,
quality is at least equal to mp3, and, of course best of all and my
personal reason for sticking with ogg is that this one's completely
free, without several legal issues you probably might run in while using
lame...

> How about ripper setup for grip?  I was testing with "grip (cdparanoia)",

Best hint probably would be to give it a try... Actually, I am having
two cd-rom devices in my machine (a cd/dvd player and a cd-rw recorder),
and while cdparanoia works absolutely great with the latter one, while
extracting audio-cds through the dvd drive I am merrily using cdda2wav
at an incredible extraction speed. So, guess it somehow depends on the
hardware you're running. :)

> Lastly, why do I need /dev/sd0 (generic scsi device) entered?  (I'm using
> scsi emulation for my ide drives.)

Well... Should be /dev/scd0 (/dev/scd1, /dev/scd2 and so on,
respectively, in case there are more than one cd-rom drives using scsi
emulation in your box). As another option, you might want to invoke
'grip -d /dev/scd<whatever>' to tell grip which device to use.

Cheers,
Kris

--
Savour what you feel and   { Kristian Rink
what you see - things that { irc:: irc.sorcery.net (kristian)