Re: Which encoder for grip?

On 21-May-2002 Bill Moseley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the suggested encoding tool for grip?  I've got a bunch of existing
> mp3 files.  Should I move to Ogg Vorbis?  What Debian packages are needed
> for encoding?
>
> How about ripper setup for grip?  I was testing with "grip (cdparanoia)",
> but I'm not clear how the different rippers compare.

mp3 encoders can not be packaged in Debian due to patent restrictions.  If you
want to stick with mp3 I recommend 'lame'.  Good, fast, stable, correct.

just about everyone uses cdparanoia, it is really the best around.

ogg is fine as long as you never intend to use the songs in a mp3 portable
player or other hardware player.  oggs are also smaller usually and tend to
sound as good or better than a similar sized mp3.