Problems installing with A7A266 mobo

I am having some problems getting Debian to install on my system.  Actually, it is one specific problem that keeps on popping up again and again.  I don't know if anyone can help me out, but I figure it's worth asking.

The problem is, when I try to install Debian on my system, either from the boot floppies or from the full ISO off the net (the most recent ISO as of about 5 days ago), I get an error while it's loading the installation kernel.  It says:

keyboard timeout: AT keyboard not detected

I ran into the same problem about a half year or so ago, last time I tried to install Debian on my machine.  My keyboard will function perfectly fine until the kernel starts to boot, then it refuses to respond; even numlock won't turn on or off.

If you think you might be able to help, here's some quick details about my system.  It's a 1.2GHz Athlon system with an ASUS A7A266 motherboard, with 256 of DDR ram.  It installed Mandrake 7 fine several months ago, though attempts at installing SuSE or Debian have failed due to the same error.

One thing I did notice when running the latest ISO, was that the "bootfloppy" portion of the install was still dated as of mid-2001.  I don't know if maybe that might be why, maybe an outdated boot kernel or something - though I don't know how to resolve that.

Anyway, any ideas are welcome.  Thanks!

- Paul Goins
Windows / (Wannabe) Linux Developer