OpenOffice installation problem with XFree4

It seems that with XFree4, OpenOffice will work in one of two
circumstances:

a) "load freetype" is set in XF86Config-4
b) "load xtt" is set AND an font server is active.

If "load xtt" is set and a font server is NOT active,
OpenOffice goes (on my system) into a "weird" state.

What I want is:

- OpenOffice should work;
- Truetype fonts (msttcorefonts) should be usable in OO;
- In Mozilla, I want to be able to display Japanese using
  MS (actually, Ricoh) Japanese truetype fonts;
- In Mozilla, Japanese e-mail (both headers and e-mail
  bodies) should be readably displayed (bodies with
  truetype);
- and preferably, everything should be displayed with
  anti-aliasing.

Now I tried (I think) everything, and have run out of things
to try. I can fulfill at most 3 points of the above list. Who can
help? Things are described in more detail at

<http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/~jws/ooprob.html>.

regards, Jan