woody install loops after asking for password

Hello,

I tried to install woody via the net. I downloaded the compact-boot and
compact-root 1.44MB floppies, version 3.0.22-2002-04-03, bootet the machine
and installed everything else from the net (using ftp.de.debian.org as a
mirror).

Everything works fine until the newly booted system asks for timezone and
password settings. After the last password-related question ("create normal
user account?"), it loops back to the first question ("is the system clock
set to GMT?"). This repeats endless.

I have this behaviour on two different machines, both using english and
german as the language for the installation process.

It seems that /sr/sbin/base-config is running the different config scripts,
and starting wirh 25pcmcia, they fail and return with error code 10, because
db_get fails somehow - I could ot trace this further because I do not know
how this database mechanism is supposed to work.

Any hints?

cu
Michael