Ximian Evolution Fixed-width fonts

I recently installed Ximian Evolution 1.0.3 on my woody desktop pc.

When I first launched it, I noticed that the Fixed width fonts that are
used for text in email were unreadable: the characters were just blocks.

So I went to gnome-control-center -> HTML VIewer and changed the
fixed-width font.  Same thing.  I went through ALL of the fixed fonts
and finally found one that worked: terminal (dec).  The rest all appear
as blocks.  That font is no fun.  But blocks are much harder to read than
letters.

Any clue as to what might cause this behavior?

More info:  I'm using GdkXft for anti-aliased fonts in Gnome, but this
behavior still happens when I log on with a normal session.  XFree86
4.1.x.