Re: Installing X on woody

On Wed, 08 May 2002 16:11:58 -0500
"D. Michael McFarland" <dmmcf@uiuc.edu> wrote:

> The easy way, it now seems to me, should be to start from scratch with
> boot floppies from woody, skipping the brief potato phase of the
> installation.  But as I understand it, there are no boot floppies or
> netinst CD images available for woody that don't suffer the
> configuration-stage infinite loop that's been discussed here lately,

The problem is not with the boot floppies, but rather with the
"base-config" package that is then pulled from one of the mirrors.

> and my attempts to circumvent it by swapping around inittab and
> inittab.real haven't worked (a little knowledge...).

This would stop the system from starting the faulty "base-config" package.
 However, it may be helpful to install the "base-config" from unstable and
then run it manually to finish the installation. This can be done rather
easily by configuring a "sources.list" file listing both the testing and
unstable sources, then configuring a default release version for your
system such as:

-- /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10default
APT::Default-Release "testing";

then udpate your package list and pull the "base-config" package from
unstable

dselect update
apt-get install base-config/unstable

HTH