Re: OpenOffice question

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 07:17:48PM -0700, Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, 4 May 2002, stan wrote:
>
> > I just downloaded the OpenOffice 1.0 installer, and ran it on my woody
> > mahcine. I told the installer to put the installation in /opt/OpenOffce.
> >
> > I looked through the opt/OpenOffice tree, and I don't see a bin directory.
> >
> > What else do I need to do to use this package?
>
> It might be easier for you to add these lines to your
> /etc/apt/sources.list:
>

> # OpenOffice
> deb http://www.mx1.ru/~chris/openoffice unstable main contrib
> deb-src http://www.mx1.ru/~chris/openoffice unstable main contrib
>
> # Java
> deb ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian/ woody non-free
>
> Then do this:
>
> dselect update
> apt-get install j2re1.4 openoffice.org

Thanks.

I just finally got around to trying this. Here is what my sources.list file
wound up looking like:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

# deb ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/java/debian/ woody non-free

# deb http://apt-proxy.sourceforge.net/openoffice unstable main contrib

# OpenOffice
deb http://www.mx1.ru/~chris/openoffice unstable main contrib

# Java
deb ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian/ woody  non-free

But when I try to get dselect to update now I get:

Hit http://http.us.debian.org unstable/non-free Release
Failed to fetch
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian/dists/woody/non-free/binary-i386/Packages
Unable to fetch file, server said 'Can't build data connection: Connection
refused.  '
Failed to fetch
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian/dists/woody/non-free/binary-i386/Release
Unable to fetch file, server said 'Can't build data connection: Connection
refused.  '
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://metalab.unc.edu woody/non-free
Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/metalab.unc.edu_pub_linux_devel_lang_java_blackdown.org_debian_dists_woody_non-free_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones
used instead.

This _might_ be because my machine is behind a firewall that requires ftp
transfers to be done in passive mode.

Can you sugest a workaround for this?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin