Re: debian2.2r4 and MatroxMillenniumG450

FYI, debian-release is not a list for helping users.  Try debian-user
or debian-devel.  Also, since almost all your problems relate to X11,
there's a Debian X11 mail list too, see
<URL:http://lists.debian.org/>. I'll answer anyhow.

"Lars-Eric Gustavsson" <leguz@glocalnet.net> writes:

> After these really annoying Debian sessions my suggestions are:
>
> 1.  Fix the supposed bugs in the anXious mouse etc selections part, and try
>  to autodetect more things, please

The X configure has radically changed for the upcoming Woody release,
using something called dexconf.  anXious is dead.

> 2.  IMPORTANT!!: If the XF86Config file plus the X server don't function
> together with the hardware, either go back to a rather safe video mode (as
>  the one already used in the XF86Setup program ! ), and/or let the user do
>  this by pressing Esc if he doesn't see a good picture after some seconds

Dunno about this one.  I think dexconf picks conservative defaults.

> 3.  Write some good information for the poor Millennium G450 users  (am I the
> only one to have met these problems ??), maybe also suggest an XF86Config
>  file that could be tried, and tuned ...

Sounds like something for the XFree86 folks more than us.  The
upcoming Debian 3.0 release, btw, uses XFree86 4.1.x.

> 4.  Put all your possible efforts on enabling the 4.0 version of XFree86 into
> your Debian system  (which would solve the Matrox problems, too, I guess )

Already done, see above.