Re: dist-upgrade fails w/ parse error in /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/Template.pm

Sebastian Haase wrote:
> 94% [Scanning packages]Template parse error near "" at
> /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/Template.pm line 102, <TEMPLATES> chunk 3.
> E: Sub-process /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure --apt returned an error code (29)
> E: Failure running script /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure --apt
>
> Is there a workaround ?
> Please help.

There is a workaround, which I will get to in a minute. I hope you can
first do a little exercise that will track down the broken package, so I
can get it fixed:

1. Edit /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure, and go to line 99, which reads:

foreach my $x (0..$#debs) {

2. Add a new line after that, which reads:

print STDERR "DEBUG: $debs[$x]\n";

3. Reproduce the problem again, this time you should get some debug info
   as it processes each .deb in turn. When it fails, the last .deb it
   output is the broken one, probably. Send me the output and I can
   probably take it from there.

4. Only after you have done the above and mailed me the output, upgrade
   to testing's version of debconf (apt-get install debconf), which will
   not crash on the broken package.

I should add that I have grepped the whole debian archive for packages
that are broken in this way, and I had thought they were all fixed.

--
see shy jo