potato to woody upgrade again

Hi,

I upgraded from potato to woody today following the release notes and this is what I found. The potato system was development tools and X and that's about it.

The install went fine and post install I followed the directions exactly and found the following:

1. dpkg --configure --pending (nothing was needed here)
2. apt-get install locales util-linux (not needed)
3. apt-get remove xbase (not needed)
4. apt-get install xfonts-base xfonts-75dpi xfonts-100dpi xfonts-scalable (not needed)

I don't know if these procedures in the release notes are needed anymore in the notes but thought I would mention my experience.

I do have some questions.

How do I get xfree-4 working? It seems that all the packages are installed but not active. Version 3 works after the upgrade but I would like to try the new version.

I want to try to make this box a firewall. I want to use iptables so I guess I need to install kernel 2.4 and iptables? I don't know the Debian way here.

Any help appreciated.

Eric