RE: dual port nic

e=purchase&sku=3C982-TXM
), but their rep told me it was just used for
failover -- the two ports could only transmit the same data.

Depending on the NIC, yes, as someone pointed out already.  The amount of
interfaces on a single card is not the issue.  The chipset used by the card
for those interfaces is.  I have had a 4 port card running under both debian
and Redhat, which used the tulip driver.  In both cases it was addressable
as eth0, eth1, eth2 . . . and all interfaces were independent.  Same goes
for Sparc based SBUS cards with multiple interfaces.  It depends on how the
card was built and whether you have the appropriate driver for it.