Re: Woody: apt mysteriously wants to pull in 100 MB from sid. Why?

* Mario Vukelic (mario.vukelic@chello.at) [020507 12:41]:
> On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 21:27, Gary Hennigan wrote:
>
> > Are you using apt's release capability to determine which version to
> > use?  In my sources.list I use woody and sid, but I had to use
> >
> >         APT::Default-Release "testing";
>
> I used the preferences file and pins, and this has worked forever

It should work as long as you use "testing" instead of "woody". I'm not
an authoritative source as to "why?", but my guess would be that the
package metadata includes a line that says something to the effect of
"Release: testing" instead of "Release: woody", so apt only works with
"testing" because that's what matches.

I don't think this has changed recently. I remember trying a long time
ago and finding the same: it only works with "testing", not "woody".
Maybe it has looked like it was working, but you were really pulling in
packages from unstable and just didn't realize it?

good times,
Vineet
--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml