Re: Installing X on woody

Jaye Inabnit ke6sls <ke6sls@cox.net> writes:

> One of the ways I have used in the past is to simply use dselect and add
> something like kde, blackbox, or gnome.

I've added blackbox in this way, but I'm still missing something.

> That will cause a bunch of
> dependencies, and xfree86 will be one of them.  Before doing this however,
> you might want to first run dselect without actually selecting anything just
> to make sure you have all the basics that might have been missed on your
> install.

I didn't set out to do this, but when I first ran dselect it
identified a surprising number of packages I'd missed in my (evidently
incomplete) initial installation.

> Also, make sure you have your sources properly added.  If you need a copy of
> the addresses, let me know and I will send you my working
> /etc/apt/sources.list file.

I'm pretty sure I have this right, but if you'd send a sources.list
file by private mail I'd grateful for a known-good, current example.

> hth.  Good luck to you.

Thanks.  When I look over the notes I kept on the first go-round, the
changes and customizations aren't very extensive; most of the time I
spent went into learning what to do.  I'm thinking I may start over
with a more direct net installation of woody, skipping potato
altogether.

Cheers,
Michael