Re: Linux IDE RAID question

The general consensus seems to be that the cheap ATA RAID cards (around $100
USD) are not worthwhile. They don't implement RAID in hardware, they rely on
drivers to do the actual work. The more expensive ATA RAID cards (around $300
USD) do implement RAID in hardware and work well.

I recently installed a box with RAID 1 by simply adding a PCI ATA controller
card (for a total of 4 IDE channels -- 2 on the motherboard and 2 on the
card) and using the kernel's software RAID. This works well and the experts
say it's faster than the cheap RAID cards -- and definitely more stable at
this time.

The one situation where it makes sense to use the cheap ATA RAID cards is
when you will be dual-booting with Windows and want to have the RAID
accessible from both Linux and Windows.

See:
* Software RAID Howto
* mlist.linux.raid newsgroup