Re: Linux IDE RAID question

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 05:24:49AM -0400, Sunny Dubey wrote:
> I want to setup a RAID-1 system using IDE RAID.  I've searched around google,
> and looked at what the kernel offers.  I have a a few cards in mind that I
> might pick one of.  However I was wondering if any of you guys had any tips
> about which ATA raid card was the better than the rest.

None.  Most of them use a hybrid software/hardware RAID which depends
on a (usually Windows-only) driver to make them work.  Even when the
driver is in place and using the RAID card fully, they tend to not
work as well as linux's md subsystem.  So buy yourself some bigger
drives and a plain old IDE controller card (you'll want to put each
RAID drive on its own IDE channel), forget the RAID cards, and just
use the kernel's RAID support.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss