Re: Mail server

>  - An smtp server to receive mail for serveral virtual hosts.

Most smtp servers will allow you to do this. Exim is the default SMTP server. I
don't have any experience on the above, so I comment further.

> The mail users should not be the same as the login users (eg. no entries in
> /etc/passwd)

I suggest you read the Mail Administrators HOWTO. Specifically section 3:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Mail-Administrator-HOWTO-3.html

Which gives you a very good overview of how email works. And Section 5:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Mail-Administrator-HOWTO-5.html

Will give you some more specific details on the different SMTP servers
available.

>  - A POP3 server that will serve the users described above, and supports ssl

Does it *have* to be POP3 - IMAP can also do SSL.

Assuming Woody (on the basis that by the time you have all the answers you are
looking for, Woody will have become stable) I get the following that would do
what you are talking about. A quick apt-cache and a grep reveals:

courier-pop-ssl - POP3 daemon with SSL, PAM and Maildir support
ipopd-ssl - POP2 and POP3 servers from UW

Failing that, you could look into using stunnel to put the POP3/IMAP4 data
through an SSL tunnel.

You might also investigate:

vchkpw - Virtual POP-domains and users for qmail

Though I don't know anything about it - it just caught my eye as I was looking
through the list of available packages.

Andrew

"I do not agree with what you say,
but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire (1694-1778)