Re: Can I use Debian for...

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 13:24, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> I need a recent, stock kernel to use the drivers for the Ultracam with
> Linux.  I want to have a Netmeeting compatible videoconferencing client

GnomeMeeting should be what you're looking for here. It's not 100%
compatible, but it's close.

> (so my friends can contact me reliably) and a MS Messenger compatible IM
> client - preferably one that also allows the voice connection with

I'd personally recommend Gaim. It allows you to connect to MSN
Messenger, AIM, ICQ, and Yahoo services all in one client. No voice
connections or filetransfers however. Jabber clients will also allow you
to connect to MSN but with the same limitations listed above.

> I believe I'd be happy with Gnome or KDE.  I've the most experience with
> KDE, but I'm not using either while I'm hanging out in Win2k.

IMO, KDE is too Windows-ish. I prefer Gnome. But everyone's preferences
are different so just take whatever you're most comfortable with. Note
that if you do KDE with GnomeMeeting you'll probably need to install
quite a few Gnome libraries to get GnomeMeeting to run.

> Can anyone verify that I can do these things in Debian, and which
> distribution I will need to use?  These are the last barriers keeping me
> from switching to booting Linux first choice.

Debian will allow you to do all of the above. If you're not comfortable
with doing a LOT of reading and a LOT of work with software and
configuration, you might be better off with RedHat or Mandrake. But once
everything is set up and configured, Debian is, IMO the best distrib to
use. (Primarily due to apt.)

-Alex