pppd ignoring idle option

I'm trying to use pppd instead of diald for dial-on-demand
functionality.

I've got the dialing and connecting part working.  However, pppd seems
to ignore the "idle x" option I'm specifying in /etc/ppp/options.  In
fact, I even specified the timeout period on the commandline:

pppd idle 45 call provider

According to the docs, this should cause pppd to timeout and hangup
after 45 seconds.  However, it never hangs up.

I even did a "tcpdump -i ppp0" and waited for well over 45 seconds, no
traffic was shown.

I also tried using "idle 2" and pppd STILL doesn't hangup.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@raw-sewage.net
``I ain't never seen no whiskey, the blues made my sloppy drunk!''