Re: My ultimate linux box - raid

hi ya

none of the onboard raid stuff works ( properly )...

- test it... pull the cable and see if it stil boots
	and try it the other way with the other ide cable...

	- if it works... than they may have fixed some of
	the raid mirroring problems in hw  ( ie their firmware )

- in your box..sounds like you have $$$... buy a real hardware
  raid controller... and skip the (useless) scsi controllers

- drooling config ?? ( if ide mode ... or sdxx mode too )
	boot off hda or hdc
	- stripe hda to hdd
	- stripe hdc to hdb

	/home is raid5 ...  ( mirror that too if one is paranoid )

	than backup  /home to /home.backup ( another raid array )

- i dont like hotswap...
	- whatever caused the failure could propagate that failure
	to the new hotswap disks... now you lose 2 disks..

	- when things fail.... i like to know why before throwing
	more hardware into the dying/dead box...

c ya
alvin