Re: My ultimate linux box

> What are you going to be using this machine for? This sounds like
> overoveroveroverkill for a desktop machine (and inappropriate for a
> server...). Save yourself a lot of money and just get IDE drives and use
> software RAID, if you really want it. Then again, I don't know anything
> about your price constraints and requirements for the machine. My first
> instinct is that you could scale all of it back a bit, still be very
> happy with your machine's performance, and feed a small country with the
> money you'd save =)

Thanks for your input.  I am going to be using this machine for whatever...
Fast compiles, serving up my website, perhaps a game or two, video capture,
etc.  I have 6 of these SCSI 10k drives and the 5304 Compaq RAID card already
given to me by a friend.  So, free free free, so my choices are use em or
let them lay around... I think it would be MUCH cooler to use them!  :)
I also have not had a new computer in YEARS and am in the profession, and I
want my dream machine dammit! :)  I am agreeing that I could scale it all
back, but why?  The ton of RAM and dual procs is also because for the Windoz
apps I still need, I am going to be running VMWare, if you've every ran it,
it is a HOG!  But like I said, I am well aware how much overkill this is,
but I have the money and never had a computer that would be my dream machine
this is kind of like the geeks midlife crisis, only I'm 27.  :)  I am more
interested in comments like, "This video card sux ass under linux, go with a
Widged-Inc card, etc"

Thanks!

Michael